[OS X TeX] Re: MacOSX-TeX Digest #2237 - 10/13/07

Nathan Dunfield dunfield at caltech.edu
Sun Oct 14 02:34:38 CEST 2007

Michael Kubovy wrote:
> I am working on a paper with a colleague on the West Coast. He's on a
> WinTel machine. We would like to set up something like Subversion to
> check out and modify our documents.

Michael,

I have found using a version control system when writing papers to
very helpful, though it did take a bit of effort to set up.  I have
done it with collaborators who were not not particularly computer-
savvy, so the limited skills that will be needed can all be at your end.

I use CVS rather than Subversion, so I can't comment on the specifics
too much.  Subversion is essentially  "CVS done right", so it
probably wouldn't make much sense to use CVS instead, though it is
the case that OS X ships with CVS included whereas Subversion isn't.

As a Windows client, I found TortoiseCVS pretty easy to use; there's
an analogous program TortoiseSVN for Subversion.

Adam R. Maxwell wrote:
> You can use svnserve or Apache.  The simplest route is probably to use
> svnserve.  See <http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.0/ch06.html> for
> details.

As I said, I don't use Subversion, but for CVS *running any kind of
server* for a small  collaboration like this is *completely
unnecessary* and probably a bad idea for amateurs like myself, and
I'm pretty sure this is true for Subversion as well.   All you need
to do is give your collaborator an account on your Mac Pro and then
allow him/her to log in remotely via SSH (in Preferences->Sharing,
just check the box "Remote Login").  Then you only have to master
using Subversion locally (TortoiseSVN etc, will make this transparent
to the end user), and make sure that the repository is set up so both
users have write permission to it (e.g. make it world-writeable).

	Best,

	Nathan