[OS X TeX] Web hosting etc

Jens Noeckel noeckel at uoregon.edu
Mon Oct 8 17:51:24 CEST 2007

On Oct 8, 2007, at 7:50 AM, Alain Schremmer wrote:

> On Oct 8, 2007, at 12:30 AM, Adam M. Goldstein wrote:
>
>> If you use .Mac, then you can also use iWeb to create and publish
>> the web site with the files to upload. You get a nice site with no
>> coding, just dragging and dropping widgets and choosing backgounds
>> etc.
>
> That part looks like is just for me.
>
>> .Mac costs $100 per year
>
> I think that I could afford that. But, right now, google pages
> sounds simpler. One day, though, I would like to have a more
> sophisticated site with, say, a discussion forum.
>
>> , and iWeb (a part of iLife) (iThis, iThat, iTheOtherDamnThing)
>> costs around the same.
>
> I got that already because the old iPhoto ceased to be able to
> handle my production (I am trying to learn how to frame pictures
> with an optical 12X Panasonic-Leica and I can't seem to be able to
> jettison pictures.)
>
> But, again, does google search .mac or does it treat it like verizon?

Just to avoid misunderstandings: I don't think google favors
gogglepages.com over other sites, including .mac... To get found by
google, the choice of your provider in this case probably makes
little difference.

Regarding .Mac, I have never used it, just know that for simple web
pages the iWeb route is about the same difficulty level than Google
browser-based route. By the way, I'd recommend using Firefox for
Google's applications.

Jens