[OS X TeX] Web hosting etc

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 16:50:20 CEST 2007

On Oct 8, 2007, at 12:30 AM, Adam M. Goldstein wrote:

> If you use .Mac, then you can also use iWeb to create and publish
> the web site with the files to upload. You get a nice site with no
> coding, just dragging and dropping widgets and choosing backgounds
> etc.

That part looks like is just for me.

> .Mac costs $100 per year

I think that I could afford that. But, right now, google pages sounds
simpler. One day, though, I would like to have a more sophisticated
site with, say, a discussion forum.

> , and iWeb (a part of iLife) (iThis, iThat, iTheOtherDamnThing)
> costs around the same.

I got that already because the old iPhoto ceased to be able to handle
my production (I am trying to learn how to frame pictures with an
optical 12X Panasonic-Leica and I can't seem to be able to jettison
pictures.)

But, again, does google search .mac or does it treat it like verizon?

> It is not open source, but then again, although google pages is
> free, it's not open source either.

Does it matter that google pages is not open source? Not that I am
especially in love with google.

> Regarding Sourceforge, they probably wouldn't want to host this
> project, because (they would say) it is primarily devoted to
> content, rather than executable code.

They would be quite right. On the other hand, though, I hope I will
have one day to look for the contents equivalent.

> I personally can't wait to see the magnum opus, both to learn about
> math, direct students to it

As I already said, flattery never really hurt anybody!

> , and also so that I can see the LaTeX used to build it, especially
> after having seen all the questions posted here about it.

You might say it was a case of the ends justifying the means but, no,
I was just quite shameless about it.

Regards
--schremmer