[OS X TeX] Web hosting etc

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Sun Oct 7 03:36:10 CEST 2007

Hi Alan, Bernhard, and others

On 07/10/2007, at 7:38 AM, Alan Litchfield wrote:

> On 6/10/2007, at 10:10 PM, Bernhard Barkow wrote:
>
>> Exactly; but if it is just for a few files and you don't fear the
>> command line, the plain simple ftp program from the command line
>> is IMHO the easiest way to do things (repeat: as long as there are
>> only a few files to transfer).
>>

> Oh I wouldn't say that. ftp or sftp are very efficient applications
> for transferring files, large or small, small in number or large
> and even whole sites or complete directory trees. And it is
> particularly useful if you find you have to tunnel into a server
> with telnet or ssh.

  scp  is even easier, in my experience, as a command-line tool.
It allows for usual shell wildcards and pattern-matching,
and has all the security of  ssh .

Once you know the target location, it takes just a single command
to move all the files that match a given pattern.

If you don't know the target, then use an  ssh  connection to
log-in and determine it --- this is similar to using  stfp .
If there is a need to work with the transferred files,
then you may have needed to log-in anyway.

> But if you have an aversion to Terminal applications, have a look
> at Transmit. Nice Finder like interface, stable and plays nice with
> lots of different file systems. http://www.panic.com/transmit/
>
> Cheers
> Alan

Hope this helps,