[OS X TeX] Web hosting etc

Bernhard Barkow bb at creativeeyes.at
Sat Oct 6 11:10:44 CEST 2007

On 2007-10-06, at 06:35, Bruno Voisin wrote:
>>> I am getting close having to up-load part of the magnum opus.
>>
>> Use Finder for the file transfer.
>>
>> One Finder window shows your opus, i.e. the root file plus other
>> files or directories. A second Finder window shows the server. To
>> open this second window you can type in Terminal 'open <that
>> server's address and directory name>' or use in a Finder window
>> the 'Connect to Server' entry in the Go menu. Then it's easy to
>> drag objects from one window to the other.
>
> In case the server to which the files must be uploaded is a FTP
> one, then Finder can't be used: the Finder FTP capabilities,
> invoked through Connect to Server (Cmd-K) then FTP URLs like <ftp://
> ftp.cam.ctan.org/tex-archive>, allow download but not upload. See:
>
> <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107415>

Exactly; but if it is just for a few files and you don't fear the
command line, the plain simple ftp program from the command line is
IMHO the easiest way to do things (repeat: as long as there are only
a few files to transfer).

> For years (back when it was Mac OS 6.7 IIRC), I have been using
> Fetch for such tasks:
>
> <http://fetchsoftworks.com/>
>
> It's shareware, and freeware for educational institutions (I got
> very easily a free license for mine).
>
> There's Interarchy too (originally Anarchy), also shareware and
> quite as old as Fetch, but I've always felt Interarchy a bit too
> powerful and overwhelming compared with the simplicity of Fetch:
>
> <http://nolobe.com/interarchy/>
>
> In the public domain, there's Cyberduck which is also quite nice:
>
> <http://cyberduck.ch/>
>
> Back when a colleague of mine was looking for easy SFTP on OS X,
> and Fetch had no SFTP capabilities yet, I tried and used Cyberduck
> for a while. However, having practiced Fetch for so many years, I
> finally went back to it when it could do SFTP as well.

Plus, there seems to be an OS X version of Filezilla, <http://
filezilla-project.org/>. Though I am personally quite satisfied with
Cyberduck.

>> There is only the problem with the usually invisible .DS_Store
>> files. [...]
>
> Regarding these files, you can have a look at:
>
> <http://tug.org/pipermail/macostex-archives/2007-May/030972.html>
>
> which points to the software:
>
> <http://www.zeroonetwenty.com/blueharvest/>
>
> And similarly have a look at:
>
> <http://tug.org/pipermail/macostex-archives/2007-May/030910.html>
>
> which points to the Automator action:
>
> <http://mikepiontek.com/software/mac/create-clean-archive.html>

Tinkertool <http://www.bresink.com/osx/TinkerTool.html>  (a small GUI
which also offers a lot of other useful extra configuration options)
has the option to turn this off, too (first tab, "Don't create
hidden .DS_Store files…").

Regards
Bernhard