[OS X TeX] Just went to Leopard and ...

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Tue Nov 6 02:15:15 CET 2007

On Monday, November 05, 2007, at 05:02PM, "Herbert Schulz" <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:

>The BibDesk Input Manager that worked great for citations doesn't see
>to be working put managers were moved to ImpuManager-Tiger. Do all of
>those have to be re-written for Leopard? How do I tell the System it
>should use them again?

The BibDesk input manager is unsupported under Leopard, and the next release of BibDesk (or last nightly build) will display a message to that effect.  Here's a message I sent to the bibdesk-users list a few days ago.

Apple's official position is that input manager bundles have never been supported:

http://lists.apple.com/archives/cocoa-dev/2006/Mar/msg01106.html

http://lists.apple.com/archives/cocoa-dev/2007/Oct/msg01622.html

Because of tightened restrictions in Mac OS X 10.5, the Completion pref pane will not be available on 10.5 and later. The input manager bundle will still be in BibDesk's bundle if you want to grope around and install it yourself, but it will be unsupported. You can search the web or the 10.5 AppKit release notes for further info.

BibDesk's input manager is really handy, but it's been a huge hassle to maintain, and uses some nasty hacks. If you'd like to see the functionality incorporated into your favorite Cocoa editor, please ask the developer to incorporate the code that we have.

thanks,
Adam