[OS X TeX] magnification in the geometry package

André Bellaïche abellaic at math.jussieu.fr
Mon May 28 15:21:32 CEST 2007

Le 28 mai 07 à 13:44, Peter Dyballa a écrit :

> Am 28.05.2007 um 02:59 schrieb André Bellaïche:
>
>> \usepackage
>> [mag=800,paperwidth=15truecm,paperheight=22.5truecm,textwidth=11truec
>> m,textheight=17truecm,inner=17truemm]{geometry}
>
> I actually do not understand why you have to use mag when you also
> give exact dimensions! Isn't mag an auxiliary means to make an ISO
> A4 page fit on some non-standard paper?

Not only that. I also want to reduce the font. I started from course
notes typeset on A4 paper, but in 12 pt size. With a 800
magnification, we get a text in 9.6 pt, and with a 850 magnification
we get a text in 10.2 pt.

So I do want not start from A4 to get an A4 paper reduced by 0.8, as
the dimensions of the paper are fixed independently of A4 (the
horizontal/vertical ratio is 2:3, as it is 1/1.414... for A4). In
fact no memory of A4 should remain in the LaTeX commands or in the
final output

> At least I get in the LOG file:
>
> 	Package geometry Warning: The marginal notes would fall off the page.
> 	     Add 23.19832pt and more to the right margin.
>
> Leaving mag away I still get:
>
> 	Package geometry Warning: The marginal notes would fall off the page.
> 	     Add 39.55864pt and more to the right margin.
>
> So it's obvious that you make mistakes in specifying the dimensions.

There are no marginal notes in this text. If there were some, I would
reduce the width of marginal notes (or the text width).

>> \usepackage
>> [mag=800,paperwidth=18.75cm,paperheight=28.125cm,textwidth=13.75cm,te
>> xtheight=21.25cm,inner=21.25mm]{geometry}
>>
>> or
>>
>> \usepackage
>> [paperwidth=18.75cm,paperheight=28.125cm,textwidth=13.75cm,textheight
>> =21.25cm,inner=21.25mm,mag=800]{geometry}
>
> Both give similar warning messages. It is quite helpful to add
> these two options when using geometry:
>
> 	showframe,verbose

Thank you, I'll use that.

Of course I can correct everything, up to the screen precision, by using

\advance\oddsidemargin by
\advance\evensidemargin by
\advance\voffset by

but the behaviour of geometry remains a puzzle for me.

André