[OS X TeX] GNUPLOT on Mac

Aaron Jackson jackson at msrce.howard.edu
Wed May 23 20:55:54 CEST 2007

Aquaterm is a small app that other programs can use to display
graphical output.  Gnuplot does not require Aquaterm, however
installing it is highly recommended.  Gnuplot has to display plots
somehow, so it uses Aquaterm if it is available, if not it can use
X11.  If you never want to see the plots (within gnuplot itself),
then gnuplot can save them directly to disk as LaTeX, pdf, eps,
png,... files, which means, in this case, that X11 and Aquaterm are
not needed.

Gnuplot is very easy to compile.  A simple

./configure
make
make check
make install

should do the trick (assuming that you have Aquaterm installed,
otherwise skip the make check step).  If the configure stops for any
reason (perhaps a missing readline lib if I remember), you can
disable the check that is failing (type ./configure --help for
options).  You wont need it anyway if you are not directly using
gnuplot.