"beamer and TeX on Macs" Re: mactex.tar.gz (complete ... Re: [OS X TeX] final tex live 2007

Adam M. Goldstein amgoldstein at mac.com
Mon Mar 12 15:29:51 CET 2007

Below, Bruno expresses his wish for a stable TeX distribution.
Whatever the merits of that would be in general, in this case, beamer
has a bug that needs to be corrected, so there has to be some way to
introduce a change into one's distribution to introduce the updated
beamer package.

I'm not sure, though, but I think that this bug is due to interaction
with pdftex. So one could say, if the entire distribution had
remained stable . . .

-Adam

On Mar 12, 2007, at 9:34 AM, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Le 12 mars 07 à 14:05, Roussanka Loukanova a écrit :
>
>> On Mon, 12 Mar 2007, Bruno Voisin wrote:
>>
>>> so that, if you need a bleeding-edge version of some package,
>>> then you'd better turn to gwTeX.
>>
>> I assume you use the term "bleeding-edge" with the interpretation
>> that I am picking up: ahead in the most positive way :)
>
> Not quite: I still dream of a fully tested and consistent TeX setup
> that is then stabilized for one or two years, say, without changing
> at all during that period. It would allow people (or at least me)
> to devote some time learning how to use it most fully and
> efficiently, and then be able to relax and just use it, like the
> tool it is supposed to be (meaning something that allows work to
> get done and never gets in your way).
>
> Alas, in the connected world we live in, things are changing
> constantly and you have to devote (far too IMO) much time adjusting
> to that change; should you decide to freeze your setup and ignore
> the change, then people with whom you collaborate or simply
> interact will invariably at some point remind you of the change,
> and request your adaptation to it. Meaning, in practice, that for
> TeX  things are changing constantly, with new packages being
> introduced or incompatible changes being introduced in existing
> packages, and people (or at least me) end up spending more time
> configuring and learning to use this ever changing TeX than simply
> using it for their work.
>
> I know, I have this rant coming up periodically at times, but
> that's my never-ending frustration with TeX.
>
> Bruno Voisin

Dr. Adam M. Goldstein
amgoldstein <at> mac <dot> com
http://homepage.mac.com/amgoldstein