[OS X TeX] math typography

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Sun Jul 22 00:55:49 CEST 2007

On 21/07/2007, at 6:52 PM, Scott Murman wrote:

>> Lucida Bright is a good option.
>> It uses a kind of semi-serif style, which goes well with
>> either serifed or sans-serif text.
>
> thanks for mentioning LBright.   it is also a good math example,
> but personally i'm a serif kinda guy, so i didn't include it in my
> sphere of vision.

Here is a similar kind of example, from 4 years ago, using
Lucida serifed text. (The math font is the same.)

   http://www.iciam.org/ProgramBook.pdf
   http://www.iciam.org/BookofAbstracts.pdf

This is to back up my assertion that the maths goes well
with either serifed or sans-serif text. However, if you
don't like the maths symbols, then this doesn't matter.

My first example was used in a conference this past week,
with more than 3200 participants and as many as 71 concurrent
parallel sessions.

The printed program (of which the Program document PDF was
pages 105 onwards) was printed at 90% of A4 size, and weighed
approx 1.5 kg.

Check out how the talk-numbers and Author-indexing works.
This style worked remarkably well, for the purpose for
which it was designed. Even so, many participants threw away
the book and used the CD only, which had the linked PDF files.

Cheers,

	Ross

Ross Moore                                         ross at maths.mq.edu.au