[OS X TeX] Survey about TeXShop feature use.

Daniel Culver danielculver at mac.com
Tue Jul 3 20:57:28 CEST 2007

I am not a power user of LaTex, I do however, use LaTex and Texshop
every day. I use them for invoices, packing list, and business
correspondence. I use them to write confidential shop manuals, OEM
manuals, and customer manuals. I usually have at least two manuals
open for editing all the time. I insist my children learn as much
LaTex as they can (my son has a good chance at Caltech, I'll bet
he'll use it there). I've tried Smultron, Emacs, and AlphaX for LaTex
and I write primarily in Texshop and occasionally in Texwrangler (and
typeset from the terminal).
What do I use the most? I am always using the keystroke to switch
between the .tex and .pdf files. I use the Texshop window open as
large as I can, which makes scanning for commands and scrolling for
portions, for copy and paste, very easy, but, makes proof reading
difficult (for me) so I switch to the .pdf and then back. Since I am
editing and re-editing integrated shop practices I find that I am
always using the comment and un-comment keystrokes and the pull-down.
I have found that when I have to re-work an area I just comment
several lines below where I'm working so that I can switch files and
get right back to where I was writing. I then un-comment and am ready
to go. I use the tag, macro, and template menus all the time. I
probable have fifty templates I use. I also make a lot of use of the
edit, format and macro drop down menus.
What I would like to see added is a menu that could make it possible
to search the doc directories in the /usr/local/gwTex/texmf.texlive/
doc. I am always referring to these files to learn and think that a
window in Texshop that could open these and allow the user to
highlight sections (at least ten) to skip back to, would be awesome.
Thank you,
Dan

danielculver at mac.com