[OS X TeX] Installing the powerdot and xkeyval packages - Mac newbie

Hans Marius Eikseth heikseth at online.no
Sat Jan 20 22:42:03 CET 2007

> <snip>
>
> The following is ls output with the Tex Live 2007 (TeXLive-2007.dmg)
> distribution at http://www.tug.org/~koch/NewPackages.html. A similar
> result can be obtained with the 2006 distribution. If you
> have gwTeX,
> I don't know where it would be.
>
> [drifter] drifter$ cd /usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-dist/tex/latex/
> powerdot/
> [powerdot] drifter$ ls
> powerdot-aggie.sty      powerdot-horatio.sty    powerdot-sailor.sty
> powerdot-bframe.sty     powerdot-husky.sty      powerdot-simple.sty
> powerdot-ciment.sty     powerdot-ikeda.sty      powerdot-tycja.sty
> powerdot-default.ps     powerdot-jefka.sty      powerdot-upen.sty
> powerdot-default.sty    powerdot-klope.sty      powerdot.cls
> powerdot-elcolors.sty   powerdot-paintings.sty
> powerdot-fyma.sty       powerdot-pazik.sty
> [powerdot] drifter$
>
> So it looks like powerdot should be there with no need to do
> an extra
> install?
>
> -Adam

Ok, I probably regret having done this [My conclusion was that powerdot
wasn't in gwTeX as installed by i-installer, but I got a satisfactory
environment using the ~/Library/texmf/tex/latex/ approach for this
package.]:

I went ahead to that link at Koch's place, using the comprehensive
mactex.tar.gz (894 MB) download to have a peek at TeX Live 2007.

And like you point out, powerdot is a part of this. BUT: Now some weird
things happened. Installing TeXShop from the Extras folder of this download,
and checking that the /usr/texbin was default path as announced in
README.rtf, I tried to compile the very same document that typeset fine
earlier today, but now the ps2pdf13 stage fails (need the dvips->ps2pdf
route with powerdot, remember?).

So, it seems that gs (or it's interaction with TeX Live) is compromised
somehow after my installing TeX Live 2007. [Additionally (probably
unrelated), I can't find the i-Installer application anymore on my Mac.]

*sigh* When shall I learn that curiosity kills the cat, and that I shan't
fix what aint broken?

Best regards,
Hans Marius Eikseth