[OS X TeX] Installing the powerdot and xkeyval packages - Mac newbie

Adam M. Goldstein amgoldstein at mac.com
Sat Jan 20 18:19:25 CET 2007

On Jan 20, 2007, at 12:19 PM, Hans Marius Eikseth wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> let me just say thanks a bunch for the replies I've gotten to my
> question.
> Quickly as well!
>
>>> What I need, what I want, is a working installation of the Powerdot
>>> package
>>> in my MacTeX distribution. 'No problem' I hear the Mac savvy say,
>>> but I'm
>>> drowning in documentation and uncertainty about when (if) I should
>>> override
>>> read/write/permissions in my texmf.local tree - or if such
>> packages
>>> should
>>> go elsewhere altogether.
>>
>> What is even better, you are starting with TeX on the Mac at
>> the moment when it is in a state of flux. We'll try to keep
>> old instructions
>> somewhat valid,
>> but that's not going to be easy.
>
> Flux all right :)  I'm more than a wee bit confused about the triple
> (?)
> distribution (teTeX, TeX Live, gwTeX) and associated trees.
>
> I'll just stop issuing sudo's until I have a better grip of all
> things OS X,
> and heed the good advice about ~/Library/texmf for now, realising
> that my
> wife never will complain about missing powerdot package as she
> likely won't
> pick up LaTeX in the first place :p
>
>>> (I cannot use i-Installer, as this is based on teTeX, and

<snip>

The following is ls output with the Tex Live 2007 (TeXLive-2007.dmg)
distribution at http://www.tug.org/~koch/NewPackages.html. A similar
result can be obtained with the 2006 distribution. If you have gwTeX,
I don't know where it would be.

[drifter] drifter$ cd /usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-dist/tex/latex/
powerdot/
[powerdot] drifter$ ls
powerdot-aggie.sty      powerdot-horatio.sty    powerdot-sailor.sty
powerdot-bframe.sty     powerdot-husky.sty      powerdot-simple.sty
powerdot-ciment.sty     powerdot-ikeda.sty      powerdot-tycja.sty
powerdot-default.ps     powerdot-jefka.sty      powerdot-upen.sty
powerdot-default.sty    powerdot-klope.sty      powerdot.cls
powerdot-elcolors.sty   powerdot-paintings.sty
powerdot-fyma.sty       powerdot-pazik.sty
[powerdot] drifter$

So it looks like powerdot should be there with no need to do an extra
install?

-Adam
--
Dr. Adam M. Goldstein