[OS X TeX] Configuring a new TeX installation

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Fri Jan 19 07:45:23 CET 2007

On Jan 19, 2007, at 01:38 , Josep M.Font wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My new Mac arrived, and I am going to install TeX. I followed the
> recent discussions--incl. tonight's--and I thought I understood the
> situation and felt safe by going to install MacTeX-2007.
>
> However I just noticed I don't know how the *configure* stage is
> done with these new tools. I now realize much of the discussion has
> been about *installation* and not about *configuration* (building
> the formats, etc.).
>
> I was satisfied with i-Installer's procedure, because I need non-
> standard hyphenation patterns, and it did work perfectly. My
> understanding has been that TeXLive is not an i-package, so you
> cannot run i-Installer to configure it. Am I right ? Is there a GUI
> application to configure this TeX ? Should I use the command line
> (don't know how to) ?

Yes, you need the command line as far as I know.

> Perhaps I mixed everything up ?
>
> Suddenly I have realized that this step is crucial for me, and
> perhaps I should stick to the old methods and install and configure
> gwTeX with i-Installer...

You can install the MacTeX .pkg that is based on gwTeX and then
configure it with the i-Package.

It is also still possible to install the (now named) gwTeX i-Package,
which is a (large) subset of TeX Live. It is unsupported (no email
support) but it is still maintained. I just updated it yesterday.