[OS X TeX] Confusion about switching from i-installer distribution

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Mon Jan 8 21:18:18 CET 2007

On Jan 8, 2007, at 19:14 , Adam M. Goldstein wrote:

> Hello all
>
> I installed "TeXLive-2006.dmg (full TeXLive distribution from TUG,
> unmodified, 679.2 MB)" and it was working perfectly well. I thought
> that at some point I would uninstall the distributions I put in
> with i-installer. As a test, I thought I would first uninstall
> ghostscript, and then re-install it from the Mac additions
> distribution provided with TeXLive on Dick Koch's page.
>
> When I did so, the tex distribution helper pane disappeared, as
> did /usr/texbin.
>
> Apparently, in uninstalling ghostscript, the uninstaller with i-
> installer returned something to a state incompatible with the
> switcher pane and the /usr/texbin setup.

I am sorry, but that is impossible. If you inspect the Ghostscript
remove phase you can see why that is so. It must have been something
else that did this.

I canot say what might have changed as a result of installing the
Macadditions .pkg

> What I would like to do eventually is to remove the old
> distribution that I got from i-installer, at the same time,
> avoiding the kind of outcome I have just experienced. Would the
> following work:
>
> (1) Un-install the i-packages that provide TeX specific files,
> including fonts, texlive.ii2, and latex2rtf.ii2.

latex2rtf.ii2 is not part of TeX Live and can better be considered an
equal of the following stuff you mention.

> (2) Leave any other i-packages, as a general rule, including fondu,
> imagemagick, and ghostscript, the idea being that these can be
> maintained independently of i-installer, possibly with the help of
> TeXLive updates.

All this stuff is not part of TeX Live, not even ghostscript.