[OS X TeX] confusing updmap messages

Enrico Gregorio gregorio at sci.univr.it
Sun Feb 25 15:58:59 CET 2007

On Sun, 25 Feb 2007, Themis Matsoukas wrote:

> I installed mactex and enabled my mathpro fonts. Everything works but
> updmap gives a warning that confused me:
>
> !!! WARNING: Identical copy of used file for `mtpro2.map'
>      exists in obsolete location
>        /usr/local/texlive/2007/../texmf-local/dvips/mtpro2/mtpro2.map
>      Please, consider removing this file.
>
> Indeed, I have two copies of mtpro2.map:
>
>        /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/fonts/map/dvips/mtpro2/mtpro2.map
>        /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/dvips/mtpro2/mtpro2.map
>
> I installed both of them because I thought I had to (I replicated the
> structure of all directories I got from PCTeX). My confusion is that
> updmap thinks  that texmf-local/ is a subdirectory of 2007/.  I
> assume this is a typo and that the duplicate that needs to be removed is
>
>        /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/dvips/mtpro2/mtpro2.map

Notice the /../ snippet, which really means "go up one level"; thus the
path names

/usr/local/texlive/2007/../texmf-local/dvips/mtpro2/mtpro2.map
/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/dvips/mtpro2/mtpro2.map

are equivalent. Some time ago it was decided that map files should belong
to subdirectories of <path to the TeX tree>/fonts/map, since they have to
do with fonts.

> Then, at the end of the updmap run I get:
> !!! NOTICE:
>
>      With this release, the search paths for map files have been changed
>      and we have found that some files exist in the new path as well as
>      in the obsolete path
>   [...snip...]
>      For more information about the changed search paths, see
>      the release notes section in the teTeX manual. You probably
>      can read this document by executing the command
>        texdoc TETEXDOC
>
> The reference to tetex was puzzling...

Well, give time to the developers to get rid of these inconveniences.
Actually, also TeX Live is teTeX based (or was).

> Incidentally, running updmap on gwtex does not produce any of these
> warnings even though I have two copies of mtpro2.map in gwtex as well.

I think this depends on what version of gwTeX you've got.

Ciao
Enrico