[OS X TeX] confusing updmap messages

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Sun Feb 25 16:01:55 CET 2007

Le 25 févr. 07 à 15:43, Themis Matsoukas a écrit :

> I installed mactex and enabled my mathpro fonts. Everything works
> but updmap gives a warning that confused me:
>
> !!! WARNING: Identical copy of used file for `mtpro2.map'
>     exists in obsolete location
>       /usr/local/texlive/2007/../texmf-local/dvips/mtpro2/mtpro2.map
>     Please, consider removing this file.
>
> Indeed, I have two copies of mtpro2.map:
>
>       /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/fonts/map/dvips/mtpro2/mtpro2.map
>       /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/dvips/mtpro2/mtpro2.map
>
> I installed both of them because I thought I had to (I replicated
> the structure of all directories I got from PCTeX). My confusion is
> that updmap thinks  that texmf-local/ is a subdirectory of 2007/.
> I assume this is a typo and that the duplicate that needs to be
> removed is
>
>       /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/dvips/mtpro2/mtpro2.map

Two things:

- Yes, this is the copy that should be removed. The instructions from
PCTeX referring to texmf-local/dvips/ are outdated.

- No, updmap does not think that texmf-local/ is a subdirectory of
2007/, you missed the .. in 2007/../texmf-local which means: start
from 2007/, go up one level in the directory tree, then enter the
texmf-local/ directory. This has the advantage of placing texmf-
local/ relative to 2007/, instead of imposing an absolute path.
You'll notice for TeXLive-2007 /usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf/web2c/
texmf.cnf contains:

TEXMFLOCAL=$SELFAUTOPARENT/../texmf-local

where $SELFAUTOPARENT is defined I think by the location of the TeX
binary that is being run, while for gwTeX /usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.cnf
contains:

TEXMFLOCAL = $SELFAUTOPARENT/texmf.local

Bruno