[OS X TeX] \includegraphics and Annotated PDFs

Rick Zaccone zaccone at bucknell.edu
Thu Dec 20 14:26:48 CET 2007

On Dec 19, 2007, at 2007-12-19, 7:44 PM, Rick Zaccone wrote:

> I have a PDF file that I created by taking a screenshot of an
> application.  I opened the PDF in Preview and annotated it with an
> oval to highlight a button in the screenshot.  Then I saved the file.
>
> When I use \includegraphics to display this PDF, it displays without
> the annotation!  If I open the file in Preview, it shows the
> annotation.
>
> I tried annotating the file with Skim and got the same results.
>
> I am using
>
> \usepackage{graphicx}
>
> I've done this before and it worked.  Could it be Leopard?  I'm
> using 10.5.1 and TeXShop.  Does anyone know why this isn't working?
>
> Rick

Thanks to everyone who responded both publicly and privately.  Here's
a summary of what I have learned.

- Preview in Leopard creates annotations in a separate layer.  That's
why they don't show up in a LaTeX document.

- The same problem is present in Skim.  Exporting as PDF with embedded
notes produces a PDF file in which the annotations don't show up in
TeXShop.

Based on the feedback I received, I came up with the following
(unsatisfying) work around.

I moved my file to another machine running Mac OS 10.4.11 and I
annotated it using Preview.  Then I copied the file back to my Leopard
machine.  The annotation now shows up in TeXShop as I would expect.

This verifies that it's a Leopard issue, although I don't necessarily
see it as a bug.  Is there something more that TeXShop or
\includegraphics should be doing under Leopard?

Rick