[OS X TeX] Re: CJK package on Mac

Jung-Tsung Shen jushen at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 18:45:29 CET 2007

On 12/3/07, Jung-Tsung Shen <jushen at gmail.com> wrote:
> APS (American Journal Physics) announced today that for some languages
> the authors now have the option to put their names in their own
> language:
>
> http://link.aps.org/abstract/PRA/v76/e060001
>
> Here's the detailed instruction:
>
> http://authors.aps.org/names.html
>
> I have tried in just now on my Mac (OS 10.4 + TeXLive + TeXShop),
> following the instruction above (but had to change Big5 into Bg5), but
> the compiled test file did not show the characters correctly. They
> were all shown as ?????.
>
> My colleagues using Windows said it worked on the Windows machine. I
> have been trying to figure out why but only gone nowhere. I should
> mention that the Chinese characters showed up fine when the same
> document was compiled using xelatex.
>
> Appreciate all comments.

Bruno, Thanks so much for the extremely detailed reply. As a very end
user, I essentially know nothing on the font aspect.

After some trial and error, the following lines work (the name is
Homer Simpson in Chinese).

%!TEX encoding = UTF-8 Unicode
\documentclass[aps,prl,preprint]{revtex4}
\usepackage{CJK}
\begin{document}
\begin{CJK*}{UTF8}{bsmi} % Use default fonts from CJK (see below)
\title{Title of Paper}
\author{河馬辛普森}
\affiliation{Evergreen Terrace}

\maketitle
\end{CJK*}
\end{document}

Guess when the font command (bsmi) is omitted, LaTeX CJK would look
for some default font which is not installed by the current version of
TeXLive by default.

JT