[OS X TeX] Formatting the titles of lists

Charilaos Skiadas skiadas at hanover.edu
Fri Apr 13 05:28:15 CEST 2007

On Apr 12, 2007, at 10:52 PM, Jeffrey J Weimer wrote:

> On Apr 12, 2007, at 9:09 PM, Michael Millett wrote:
>
>> Yes, the above is what I mean. I should have said "vertically
>> aligned."
>>> This might be handled by a package (paralist as Charilaos
>>> suggested).
>> I looked at the documentation for "Paralist" in "LaTeX Companion"
>> Second Edition, but did not find quite what I was looking for. All
>> the formatting here went from top to bottom, rather than providing
>> for a highlight to the left.
>
> Look at CTAN for the documentation for the paralist package. It may
> have more than you think. Also look for packages to create resumes.
> I think there is one with just that name???

Yeah the documentation of the paralist package has I think a lot more
info than the companion.

>> Charilaos made reference to the difference between LaTeX and
>> TeXShop. I am not far enough in my experience with LaTeX to make
>> sense of this issue, yet. All I knew is ...
>
> LaTeX is a programming method that uses computer code to TYPESET
> (create a wonderful document from) a text file. The LaTeX computer
> code runs on WinXX, Unix, Linux, Mac, Solaris, ....
>
> As a first approximation, TeXShop is a text EDITOR that allows you,
> sitting on your Mac, to create the text files for LaTeX code to
> typeset. On WinXX, they use (gosh, I don't even know!!!) for an
> EDITOR. On Unix, they use vi or emacs. On Linux, they use ...
>
> You can take your LaTeX text file, hand it to someone on a WinXX
> machine who has the LaTeX code installed, and he or she can
> generate the same document that you did using TeXShop. He/She will
> NOT use TeXShop to do this, just as you will (likely) not be using
> vi on your Mac when someone from the Unix world hands you a .tex file.

Expanding more on Jeffrey's description, these are the editors that I
am aware of that understand LaTeX, each to its own degree:

Windows:
	WinEdt   ( http://www.winedt.com/ )
	TeXnicCenter ( http://www.toolscenter.org/ )
MacOSX (also see: http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/ ):
	Alpha ( http://alphatcl.sourceforge.net/wiki/ -- is this the right
link? )
	BBEdit ( http://www.barebones.com/products/bbedit/index.shtml )
	Emacs (3-4 different versions I believe)
	Vi(m)
	TeXShop
	TextMate ( http://macromates.com/, LaTeX related screencasts here:
http://macromates.com/screencasts )
	iTeXMac( http://itexmac.sourceforge.net/ )
	Smultron ( http://smultron.sourceforge.net/ )

Hope I didn't leave any other main editors out (perhaps jEdit?).

In other words, you have quite a lot of options on what program to
use to edit your LaTeX documents, each with its own strengths and
weaknesses. My personal favorite is TextMate, and probably each
person on this list has their own favorite, and we could probably
have an extremely heated discussion about which one of them is
better. A recent quote from the R-help mailing list is a bit relevant
to this: "Remember, anything is better than everything else given the
right comparison". ;)

> HTH

Haris Skiadas
Hanover College