[OS X TeX] Re: [OS X Emacs] Preview and Emacs.app question

Adam M. Goldstein amgoldstein at mac.com
Wed Apr 11 04:44:32 CEST 2007

On Apr 10, 2007, at 8:54 PM, Christopher Menzel wrote:

> On Apr 10, 2007, at 5:33 PM, Adam M. Goldstein wrote:
>> I use Emacs.app with Auctex, which has built in previewing for TeX
>> documents. I have never been able to get previewing to work, and
>> despite RTFM, searhing google, etc., etc., I still can't.
>>
>> Note that I am using TeXLive-2007.
>>
>> To start with:
>>
>> I cannot get the preview to work in the following document:
>>
>> \documentclass{article}
>> \usepackage{preview}
>> \begin{document}
>> Hello.
>>
>> $F=G\frac{mm'}{r^{2}}$
>> \end{document}
>
> Hm, I use preview-latex constantly, but I don't ever put a
> "\usepackage{preview}" line in the preamble of my documents -- I
> just have "(require 'tex-site)" to call Auctex in my .emacs file.
> (I had thought the \usepackage line became unnecessary after
> preview-latex was incorporated into Auctex.)  Moreover, when I call
> preview-latex with C-c C-p C-d on your document I get essentially
> your error, but the error goes away if I clobber the line in
> question.  So give that a try -- delete "\usepackage{preview}".  I
> reckon someone will have an explanation of why this works (for me
> and hopefully for you).

Well, here's what happens when I delete the \usepackage{preview}
line: I get an error, and immediately after the preview is done, the
pdf that usually shows the whole document changes so that I just get
the previewed equation, in this case, the law of gravity, neatly
typeset all by itself with no surrounding page or "Hello" in my PDF
viewer (skim.app in this case).

So, what I am using is:

\documentclass{article}
\begin{document}
Hello.

$F=G\frac{mm'}{r^{2}}$
\end{document}

this time the error I get is:

ERROR: Preview: Snippet 1 started.

--- TeX said ---
<-><->

l.5 $
      F=G\frac{mm'}{r^{2}}$
--- HELP ---
The auctex option to preview should not be applied manually.  If you
see this error message, either you did something too clever, or the
preview Emacs Lisp package something too stupid.

--
Dr. Adam M. Goldstein
amgoldstein <at> mac <dot> com