[OS X TeX] Tying TeXShop down

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sun Apr 8 20:08:29 CEST 2007

Am 08.04.2007 um 18:52 schrieb Martin Costabel:

> Peter Dyballa wrote:
>> Am 08.04.2007 um 15:18 schrieb Martin Costabel:
>>> This is where the bug hides: The TeX Live collection does not
>>> include the complete set of Sauter tools.
>> I already started to think of it! I had a problem with a different
>> MF based font and then it was also the missing Sauter
>> enhancements. Notice, Martin, that Alain is using gwTeX! And me
>> then, too.
>
> In this case, gwTeX is probably aligned with TeX Live. In /usr/
> local/gwTeX/texmf.texlive/fonts/source/public/sauter,
> I suppose you see about 40 files? Tetex had almost 3 times as many.
> There may be a reason for this, perhaps they are obsolete,

The real obsolete ones are "saved" in an "obsolete" directory.

> but concerning b-bbold.mf, it is definitely wanted by the mathbbol
> package as soon as one uses design sizes different from those that
> come with bbold, like 11 instead of 10 or 12.

Yes, that's how it's looking today. Seems some old knowledge got lost
in this millennium, so that the necessary files are not supplied any
more. Or it was found that substitutes are existing today. The
doublestroke fonts supply capital blackboard letters, msbm from CM
Super has some such characters, and there is St. Mary Rd, all in
PostScript. Some maybe are not bold enough ...

Actually two Sauter files are needed: b-stmary.mf + b-bbold.mf,
although "MixedMap stmaryrd.map" is in the MAP files, but the double
or blackboard brackets are needed from St. Mary Rd.

And another action was needed: removing some probably defective files
in:

	~/.texlive2007/texmf-var/fonts/source/public/bbold/
	~/.texlive2007/texmf-var/fonts/source/sauter/addons/

When these were removed, latex finally succeeded in creating the
necessary PK files. And finally I had in ~/.texlive2007/texmf-var/
fonts/source/sauter/addons files named <font name><document's font
size>.mf. That's the John Sauter way ...

OK, how to install?

An easy way would be with TCO Browser: launch it, type just "sauter"
in the search field, then select the found "sauter" line in the
window below (not sauterfonts). On the right a drawer will open,
showing some directories. Control-click on "addons," choose the
Download option, and the whole set of files will be transferred to
the download folder (it can be set in the preferences). Then either
create the directories for the system or for yourself, for example:

	sudo mkdir -p /usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.pkgs/fonts/source/sauter

or for TeX Live 200x:

	sudo mkdir -p /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/fonts/source/sauter

drag the addons archive into this directory and double-click it, -
that it gets unpacked. Finally do

		sudo texhash /usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.pkgs

or for TeX Live 200x:

		sudo texhash /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local

You can remove the archive now. And whoever wants can try for example

	unzip <the archive>.zip addons/b-stmary.mf addons/b-bbold.mf

in order to just install the two MF sources. Or download with an
Internet browser.

--
Greetings

   Pete

"It isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's the
impurities in our air and water that are doing it."