[OS X TeX] [OT] TinyURL; was, Re: [OT] Spamming?

John McChesney-Young panis at pacbell.net
Fri Sep 29 16:51:44 CEST 2006

At 10:18 AM -0400 9/29/06, Alain Schremmer wrote:

>2) In the left margin, it said "Hi Alain". Since this is indeedd my
>first name but I am not on first name basis with many people, and
>this was the first time ever I looked up tinyurl, I wonder how they
>got it. >>

The "Hi <name>" is in an ad for Amazon, and if you're currently
signed in at Amazon (which I expect is tracked via cookies?) you'll
find that cheery greeting included. If you sign out of Amazon and go
back to TinyURL you'll find it just says, "Hi."

I use TinyURL a great deal myself but hadn't (until just now) visited
the site since installing the TinyURL Creator extension to Firefox
many months ago:

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/126/

All you have to do is control-click on a page, select the appropriate
function from the contextual menu, and a short version of the URL is
generated and pasted into your clipboard.

If you find yourself copying and pasting URLs and bits of text from
pages as often as I do, you might also find helpful the Copy URL+
extension:

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/129/

"The Copy URL+ extension enables you to copy to the clipboard the
current document's address along with additional information such as
the document's title, the current selection or both."

John
--

*** John McChesney-Young  **  panis~at~pacbell.net  **   Berkeley,
California, U.S.A.  ***