[OS X TeX] Re: [OT] Spamming?

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 16:18:06 CEST 2006

Alain Schremmer wrote:

> Alex wrote:
>

>> On Sep 28, 2006, at 09:45, Bruno Voisin wrote:
>>
>>> Beware of tinyurl: it seems a spammer's or phisher's dream come true
>>> [...]
>>

>> I guess I should've expected it: take a minute or two to offer a
>> suggestion to someone who complained of Spotlight shortcomings, and
>> the reply is a dressing down which implies I'm a spammer or phisher...
>>
>> You're welcome, Bruno. And, FYI, there are widely used email clients
>> which do not honour long URLs, even when quoted or enclosed in angle
>> brackets. Hence the need for TinyURL. But thanks for the lesson, anyway.
>

> I have neither interest in nor knowledge about url […]

Let me modify this a bit: I am inordinately curious. So, I just looked
up tinyurl. It certainly looks good but:

1) At the bottom, under "Terms of use", I see "Using it for spamming or
illegal purposes is forbidden and …" so it would seem that there might
indeed be an issue here.

2) In the left margin, it said "Hi Alain". Since this is indeedd my
first name but I am not on first name basis with many people, and this
was the first time ever I looked up tinyurl, I wonder how they got it.

Regards
--schremmer