[OS X TeX] TeXShop and ConTeXt/MacTeX query

Franck Pastor pastor at fusl.ac.be
Tue Sep 12 20:51:08 CEST 2006

Le 12-sept.-06 à 20:29, Rowland McDonnell a écrit :

> I've just got MacTeX configured so that I can LaTeX some of my
> documents
> (it's not working smoothly yet: there are issues relating to automatic
> fount creation that I need to sort out; but at least I've got some
> Type
> 1 founts working that I `really need').
>
> One problem I'd like to get round: is there any way to save the
> console
> output displayed in TeXShop?  The best I've done so far is using
> cut-and-paste, which isn't terribly satisfactory.

Look at the .log file ;-) The console output is kind of a summary of it.

> I've also met some strange TeXing behaviour.
>
> Any time I LaTeX a test document, I find this in the log:
>
> (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/context/base/supp-pdf.tex
> (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/context/base/supp-mis.tex
> )
>
> What mechanism causes the files supp-pdf.tex and supp-mis.tex to be
> loaded?  Given that they turn up very nearly right at the end of the
> been
> built into the format, which leaves me without a clue.
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> And how does one `turn them off'?
>
> (I'd also like to know: what do these files do, roughly speaking?  And
> are they capable of interfering with someone who's using LaTeX and not
> ConTeXt?  I'm trying to set up MacTeX so that it gives me identical
> output to my older TeX setup)

I know one of their uses: they allow the direct inclusion of MetaPost
pictures (.mps) in a pdf file produced by pdfTeX/pdfLaTeX. Very
useful if you use the MetaPost language/engine, included in each TeX
installation, to make your pictures. They have surely other uses.
Anyway, they are harmless, it is surely never a problem if they are
loaded.

Franck Pastor
Facultés Universitaires Saint-Louis
Bruxelles, Belgium