[OS X TeX] Inclusion of TIFF files

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Wed Sep 6 18:18:03 CEST 2006

> Le 6 sept. 06 à 15:45, Gerben Wierda a écrit :
>
>>> However, some of the EPS figures are huge (~ 50 MB each -- no thanks
>>> Mathematica
>>
>> These are pure vector EPS images? You must have images (graphs)
>> with many,
>> many, really many, points in them.
>
> Yes, really many points. These are perspective views (11 of them) of
> fields calculated on a 601 x 601 grid. Which means, in each figure,
> 360 000 polygons, each positioned and oriented spatially and having a
> certain CMYK color. All in all, each EPS file is about 25 MB when
> saved from Mathematica. I would have imagined that Mathematica did
> some optimization of the EPS code that it generates; for example,
> removing hidden portions. Apparently, it doesn't: when opening an EPS
> file in Preview, you can see each of the lines of the plot (each x-
> line say, of this f(x,y) plot) being drawn individually on the
> screen, and hiding those previously drawn.

I see. This reminds me of days long past when I was finishing my
university studies and I was working on optimization of graphics rendering
because of some commercial thing I was doing and a fellow student was
finishing his Master's on just this problem. He was writing an algorithm
that prevented non-visible objects in a layered image from being drawn.

It should be possible to write a specific program that reads such a EPS
file, extracts all the polygons and removes those that are completely
behind others. The best thing would be if Mathematica itself would do this
optionally. Maybe a feature request for Wolfram?

These algorithms (or fast approximations) do exists as they are part of
the optimizations of stuff like Aqua or NEXTSTEP's DPS implementations. It
must be possible to find a goo dalgorithm to implement this kind of
filtering on your large EPS.