[OS X TeX] Inclusion of TIFF files

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Wed Sep 6 17:07:57 CEST 2006

On Sep 6, 2006, at 10:53 AM, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Though I disagree with the remark, made in this post, that the
> visual difference between the EPS and bitmapped figures is
> generally small: the resolution of the bitmap has really to be
> large enough, 300 dpi say, for the difference to be small indeed.

You can check on that by just looking at any bit of text or a solid
non-vertical/horizontal line.

For line art w/ text, a decent quality resolution is 400dpi (w/o anti-
aliasing which makes the text fuzzy). 600dpi is better, again, w/o
anti-aliasing (which should only be used for text intended for the
screen).

Bruno, you might be able to get smaller filesizes by placing, not
opening the .eps, drawing in a bounding-box rectangle w/ no fill/
stroke, creating the overlay of labels, then deleting the
placed .eps, saving the overlay .eps next to the graph .eps and then
compositing the two in TeX.

You can also reduce the filesize of an Illustrator file by removing
all unused colours / swatches, not including a preview, and in some
instances by saving down as a lower version #.

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer

This email message and any files transmitted with it contain information
which is confidential and intended only for the addressee(s). If you are
not the intended recipient(s), any usage,  dissemination, disclosure, or
action taken in  reliance on it is prohibited.  The reliability of  this
method of communication cannot be guaranteed.  Email can be intercepted,
corrupted, delayed, incompletely transmitted, virus-laden,  or otherwise
affected during transmission. Reasonable steps have been taken to reduce
the risk of viruses, but we cannot accept liability for damage sustained
as a result of this message. If you have received this message in error,
please immediately delete it and all copies of it and notify the sender.