[OS X TeX] Displaying a LaTeX beamer presentation

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Thu Oct 26 01:03:51 CEST 2006

Hi Gerben,

On 26/10/2006, at 8:35 AM, Gerben Wierda wrote:

> GIven that Preview.app has its limitations, what do people use to
> display beamer-type presentations? Acrobat? I have heard that
> Acrobat installation is rather imperialistic, in that it installs
> and setups all kind of things to use Acrobat which is then hard to
> get rid of. But I do not recall the specifics.

Typically it will need to be shown using Adobe Reader on a Windows box,
because that is what is available at the conference venue.

My department just ran a largish conference, with 200+ talks.
Many people used their own laptops, but it was also very common
to just bring the PDF on a USB stick, and show it on the console
computer. This was, unfortunately, a PC running Windows.
Many presentations, especially by Mathematical Physicists,
had been prepared using Beamer.

Actually, you can browse here, to find some of them:
   http://www.maths.mq.edu.au/~austms06/abstracts/
and look at some photos. (There's even one of me.)

I know that this isn't a direct answer to your question, but the
reality is that, whatever you choose to use when you have your
own laptop available, you may still find yourself in a position
where Adobe Reader is the only option.

Back to the Mac. ...

... I find that Keynote presentations generally look best.
They tend to have a more professional look about them,
and can have stunning transition effects.

Hope this helps,

	Ross

Ross Moore                                         ross at maths.mq.edu.au