[OS X TeX] A question from a new member

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Tue Oct 17 09:34:00 CEST 2006

Le 17 oct. 06 à 06:40, jkock a écrit :

> A main problem with Alpha is its availability: the developers are
> sort of
> afraid of making releases.  The current release, 8.0.2, was
> released last
> Spring after more than a year in code freeze, with the result that it
> represents a two-year-old state of development (plus minor bug fixes).
> For example, some of the diff features are not present in that
> release.
> If you are just a little bit adventurous (e.g. are also not afraid of
> using TeXShop beta, TeX Live 2005, or new versions of the i-
> Installer),
> I would recommend using the development version of Alpha which is
> available
> from CVS at SourceForge.  Instructions are given in the 8.0.2
> distribution.

Another problem with Alpha is getting the info. The "official" AlphaX
home page seems to be

<http://www.maths.mq.edu.au/~steffen/Alpha/AlphaX/>

but it stopped being updated long ago (the most recent version
referenced there is 8.0b16).

For version 8.0.2, you have to go to the AlphaTcl Wiki at

<http://alphatcl.sourceforge.net/wiki/>

and scroll to the section "Looking for a new version of AlphaX ?".

There's normally a dedicated AlphaX page at AlphaTcl, namely

<http://alphatcl.sourceforge.net/wiki/pmwiki.php/Software/AlphaX>

but again this page seems old and points in turn to the first
"official" page above.

As for where and how to get the CVS version, I've no idea. At
AlphaTcl there's a dedicated page

<http://alphatcl.sourceforge.net/wiki/pmwiki.php/CVS/
CvsUpdatesAlpha8XMacos>

but the screenshots it contains are from MacOS Classic (!), which
makes them look obsolete.

I'm not sure at which part of the documentation of Alpha 8.0.2 you're
referring to, when you mention instructions for getting the CVS version.

Bruno Voisin