[OS X TeX] A question from a new member

Rolf Schmolling rolf.schmolling at alumni.TU-Berlin.de
Tue Oct 17 10:56:26 CEST 2006

Am 16.10.2006 um 14:25 schrieb Frederic Andres:

> Hi to all!

> Here are the stuf I would like to be able to do:
>
> 1. I like seeing the structure of my document in order to be able
> to easily switch between sections for instance. I have tried
> ITexMacs, but I don't see this feature. But it is present in Texmaker.

1 A) When you structure your text/file with sections, chapters,
subsections etc. in TexShop in the source-window you can use the
"Tag"-selector in the menu-bar (configurable like any well behaving
Mac-program) to go to those sections of ypur source. You can add your
own tags in the document as well which will show up there too.

2 B) In the PDF-viewer-window of TexShop (after the proper number of
typesetting runs for references, bibliography etc.) and if you use
hyperref you can open the sidebar which will show the structure of
your document (like in preview) which you can use to navigate within
the pdf. The sidebar can be set to open automatically via preferences.

> 2. I always compile using PDF, but under Texmaker for instance, it
> does not recall the last position of the pdf, and it also does not
> display my graphics, whereas it does under iTexMac.

2 A) As far as I can say TexShop does not remember the last position
in the pdf when you re-typset the source. It does remember the
position in the source though and that can be used to get to the
right position in the pdf via either pdf-sync and (OSX) search-kit
(selected in the preferences). It does work reasonably well. A caveat
is if you divide your source into several sub-source-files via
include/includeonly. Then  a first move between pdf. and source is
necessary to get to the right (sub-)source-file. It's explained quite
well in the help for TexShop.

2 B) TexShop does display embedded Graphics-files if they are
inserted the right way. The help has more details on use of
templates, formats and drag and drop.

> 5. if possible, shortcuts for things like bold, emphasize...

5) You can add menu-shortcuts (whatever you like) to any menu-command
either via a system-preference or via the macro-editor of TexShop
under "macros".

Personally I prefer the simple and easy to use interface of TexShop
to the more complicated affairs of emacs, iTexMac and the like.

Greetings,

Rolf

--
Rolf Schmolling M.A. Historian, Rolf.Schmolling at Alumni.TU-Berlin.DE
http://rolf_schmolling.macbay.de/