LaTeX, MS Word, asking questions, LyX (was Re: [OS X TeX] 1/2" margins)

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Oct 12 20:00:47 CEST 2006

On Oct 12, 2006, at 12:41 PM, Alain Schremmer wrote:

> It is just as true that what I called the "club mentality" has
> nothing to do with that. I certainly do not suggest that the people
> on this list should feel obligated to respond to questions like
> some that I have asked and, I admit it, still do ask. (But I am
> immensely grateful that the members of the club have /always/ done
> so.) What I am suggesting is entirely different: it is that the
> members of the club should not refuse to admit that the fact that
> the club exists and works beyond one's wildest expectations doesn't
> imply that all is well in the LaTeX world.

Just curious... Can you give an example of any support forum/list
that isn't a ``club''?

I'm not sure ``all'' can ever be ``well'' in the LaTeX world; most
folks have no perceived need for good typesetting or are either not
willing or able to devote the time necessary to achieve the quality
of TeX's typesetting. For most folks, it seems, WYSIAYG (What You See
Is All You Get) is just plain good enough. Not much appreciation for
the printed word out there any more---at least in the US.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)