[OS X TeX] TeXShop Printing Weirdness

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Oct 12 14:48:30 CEST 2006

On Oct 11, 2006, at 4:37 PM, Chris Goedde wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm seeing some small annoyances in printing from TeXShop 2.10beta,
> and I wonder if they show up in earlier versions. (I'm pretty sure
> it's TeXShop, and not my machine, but if people running 2.10beta
> would check this as well, that would be nice.)
>
> First, I see the following, if the window for a source file is
> active when I print (cmd-P or choose from menu), the printing
> dialog box comes up a separate window, but if the preview window is
> active when I print, the dialog box is a sheet in the preview
> window. Do other people see this? Which version of TeXShop?

Howdy,

I guess this makes some sense to me. The print dialog usually shows
up as a sheet attached to the current, active document's window so
there is no confusion about which document is being printed. You can
even make another document active so there is no interference with
other activity. By default TeXShop prints the pdf file so if the
Preview window isn't active it can't make the dialog a sheet attached
to that Preview window or it might get hidden.

> Second, page setup doesn't seem to be respected if the printing is
> initiated from the preview window instead of the source window
> (that is, case 2 above, when the dialog box is a sheet). Do others
> see this as well? One way to check this is to pick a landscape
> orientation in page setup (the middle one, for example), and then
> pick two pages per
> sheet in the layout part of the print dialog box. This process
> results in different page orientations on printout when the
> printing is initiated from the source window or from the preview
> window. Do other people see that as well? (Assuming my explanation
> makes sense...).
>
> --
>
> Chris

I'll have to play with this part.