[OS X TeX] TeXShop and .cfg configuration files

AES siegman at stanford.edu
Thu Oct 12 04:01:12 CEST 2006

This note is to pass along another "solved" gotcha that I recently
encountered in using LaTeX on TeXShop, just for the benefit of other
newcomers and/or for any educational responses for my benefit that
others may want to post in reply.

I started by creating a vanilla LaTeX "article" class source file for
most of a document I was preparing, including the insertion of
figures using graphics or graphicx, and everything worked as
expected, including figures -- except typeset document was not in the
desired final journal format I needed to end up with.

To get the desired final style (and a submittable electronic ms) I
needed to use the RevTeX package mentioned in an earlier post from
me; and so I copied over all the RevTeX .cls, .sty, .rtx, .bst and
.cfg files I had used when preparing earlier manuscripts with
Textures under OS 9 and put them into the texmf >> tex >> latex
directory as instructed in the "Adding Personal Files" section of the
TeXShop Help files.  (I knew that the RevTeX distribution had not
changed since the version I had.)

After converting a few things to RevTeX syntax, everything went fine,
document formatted beautifully, except no figures -- only captions
under blank spaces, no actual figures.

After a lot of hassle and digging into confusing documentation,
eventually figured out that there was a graphics.cfg file in the
RevTeX folder which, when opened, turned out to point to "textures"
and some driver gibberish.  Trashed it, and everything worked fine.

Observations:

1)  Spent years with Textures and never had to learn (or worry) about
.cfg files.  They're not mentioned in the Textures manual.

2)  No mention of .cfg files in TeXShop Help files.  Apparently
they're not needed -- but since there are multiple other discussions
of "configurations" in these Help files (and multiple discussions of
the alleged *need* for .cfg files in the documentation for the
Graphics and Graphicx packages), might want to add a warning note
that they (apparently) *shouldn't* be added . . . ?