[OS X TeX] E in console (was pdfsync.sty testers needed)

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Thu Nov 30 23:32:01 CET 2006

On 01/12/2006, at 5:02 AM, Themis Matsoukas wrote:

> Though I consider myself a veteran latex user, it's only now that I
> realized the functionality of "E" on the console! Not only does it
> work with TeXShop, but it also works correctly with \include'd
> files. That's great news to me because I've always I wished for a
> "go to error"  (on texshop's console) that works with \include'd
> files (go-to-error always opens the root file). Until now, I had to
> figure the line where the error occurred, then manually locate that
> line in the \include'd source file. Apparently, E on the console
> does exactly that.
>
> My enthusiasm is based on one successful test - I don't know if
> robustness depends on the synchronization engine.

It has nothing whatsoever to do with synchronisation.
It has been a fundamental part of TeX's command-line interactivity
since the very beginning; i.e., ~1980 .

In those early days, you had just 1 terminal window which served
for both the editing and running of a TeX job. The 'e' key was
the best way to do  run-stop-edit-continue  style processing
and debugging.

With multiple windows now, this isn't so important;
but then there's the desire for synchronization.

> Themis

Cheers,

	Ross

Ross Moore                                         ross at maths.mq.edu.au