[OS X TeX] TSKROOT 1061

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Thu Nov 2 12:23:26 CET 2006

Am 02.11.2006 um 11:12 schrieb Friedrich Vosberg:

> I did simpdftex latex <file name> in Terminal. But the same failure
> occurs when printing the generated PDF. And the dvi file could not
> be opened by TeXShop. It seems to be a very small file. Is there
> something wrong?
>
> -rw-r--r--    1 fv  fv       8 Nov  2 11:05 dreiseitduplextest.aux
> -rw-r--r--    1 fv  fv     568 Nov  2 11:05 dreiseitduplextest.dvi
> -rw-r--r--    1 fv  fv    4219 Nov  2 11:05 dreiseitduplextest.log
> -rw-r--r--    1 fv  fv    5324 Nov  2 11:05 dreiseitduplextest.pdf
> -rw-r--r--    1 fv  fv     262 Nov  2 10:58 dreiseitduplextest.tex

Look at the text of your example: twelve characters plus five page
numbers. Why should this nothing produce MB of DVI output?! DVI
contains the names of TeX fonts used, their glyphs used, and their
positions. Check with dvitype!

You could try to use dvipdfm and dvipdfmx to create PDF from DVI in
an alternate way.

You could try to print the PS output from dvips too. Dvips can spool
its output directly into the printer queue.

The next try should be to print the PS and PDF files from the
simpdftex way *and* the other PDF files from the pdftex and dvipdfm/x
ways on a different printer (other manufacturer, other model). If
these documents also fail to print correctly there, then it's likely
that there is some bug in (La)TeX – which can be faulty PostScript
code to create duplex printing (it's better to switch that on or off
by hand via a printer utility or via some PS code in some file which
is printed together with the proper file). Otherwise the bug is in
your printer or its PPD file.

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

Some day we may discover how to make magnets that can point in any
direction.