[OS X TeX] changing textwidth within the document

Sergei Mariev sergei.mariev at lrz.uni-muenchen.de
Sat May 27 11:42:11 CEST 2006

Der all,

I need to change the dimensions of the text block area within my
document. The introduction should be 86 mm wide and the text part
only 70 mm. I have fixed the textblock in the preamble by specifiyng
\settypeblocksize{36\onelineskip}{8.6cm}{*}\fixpdflayout After the
introduction I want to change the textwidth to 7cm. Just typing
\setlength{\textwidth}{7cm} does not really work: it does change the
length of the headings after this point, but the width of the printed
block continues to be 86 mm. Increasing the size of the margins with
\setlength{\evensidemargin} etc. does not have any effect either...
What do I have to do?

The memman has an enigmatic phrase in this regard (p. 234): "It is
possible to implement this layout [i.e. a different one -S.M.] just
for this chapter but I'm not going to tell you either how to do it,
or demonstrate it.

Thanks a lot!

Sergei Mariev