[OS X TeX] Re: Installing a package on Mac-TeX

Morten Høgholm morten.hoegholm at gmail.com
Mon May 22 13:39:46 CEST 2006

On 5/22/06, Victor Ivrii <vivrii at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/22/06, Morten Høgholm <morten.hoegholm at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I found that mpm seems to believe that the package is not installed if it was
> installed not using mpm. And happily installs just overriding (even
> identical) installation.
> Probably it happens because mpm looks at the receipt rather to the
> actual installation.

Yes, mpm has a database file with entries for every package it knows
about which it simply checks or unchecks.

> In particular mpm cannot find updates to packages which were not
> installed by itself.

No, that would be waaay too much work to do for something that
shouldn't happen that often.

This is also why I direct mpm to texmf.local. If I have something
brand spanking new (like my expl3 code), I add it to ~/Library/texmf
so that it is found there first.

> Then there is a question: TUG contains all the packages whose authors
> bothered to submit them (and which satisfied some criteria, I would
> think). MikTeX database contains these packages repacked. What is
> delay between new/updated package coming to TUG and its coming to
> MikTeX?

Correction: CTAN contains the submitted packages. There are some
people connected to the MiKTeX maintainer who repackages the submitted
material and put it in the MiKTeX repository. This usually happens
pretty fast. If there is something you think is missing, you can
report it at the project site at Sourceforge.

> > I just use i-Installer and the usual setup and by installing
> > everything into one of these places it just works. Of course, one has
> > to have the right permissions when installing into texmf.local but
> > that's no surprise.
>

> Do you mean that you can use i-installer to install some package
> downloaded by TUG?

No no, just that I have a regular setup like most people on this list
even though I may be (too) deeply involved in the internals of TeX and
friends. At least that's how I understood Brunos question to me.

Morten