[OS X TeX] Re: Installing a package on Mac-TeX

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Mon May 22 12:39:49 CEST 2006

On 5/22/06, Morten Høgholm <morten.hoegholm at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/22/06, Bruno Voisin <bvoisin at mac.com> wrote:
> > Le 22 mai 06 à 09:35, Morten Høgholm a écrit :
> >
> > > I personally find it faster to use the MiKTeX Package Manager for
> > > *nix, which also allows for updating and uninstall. And yes, I know I
> > > keep talking about but that's because it works very well! :-)
> >
> > Thanks for mentioning this, I had forgotten about it!
> >
> > Could you report on your experience at compiling and using it? The
> > instructions for compilation in the included README mention libcurl
> > should be present and recent enough:
>
> It is very easy to configure and install. I followed the readme and
> made sure everything was put in /Library/teTeX/share/texmf.local/ with
> the configure flag. Then make and make install and that was it.

I found that mpm seems to believe that the package is not installed if it was
installed not using mpm. And happily installs just overriding (even
identical) installation.
Probably it happens because mpm looks at the receipt rather to the
actual installation.
In particular mpm cannot find updates to packages which were not
installed by itself.
BTW

mpm --print-package-info=PACKNAME

shows not the installation but how mpm would install it.

Then there is a question: TUG contains all the packages whose authors
bothered to submit them (and which satisfied some criteria, I would
think). MikTeX database contains these packages repacked. What is
delay between new/updated package coming to TUG and its coming to
MikTeX?

> I just use i-Installer and the usual setup and by installing
> everything into one of these places it just works. Of course, one has
> to have the right permissions when installing into texmf.local but
> that's no surprise.

Do you mean that you can use i-installer to install some package
downloaded by TUG?