[OS X TeX] Turning eps to pdf problems

David Watson dewatson at mac.com
Mon May 22 08:32:04 CEST 2006

I didn't even know that that particular program was there, but, if I
did I would try giving the arguments --help, -h, and then "h" in turn
until I found one that would get the program to give me a usage
statement. Apple utilities seem to leave off the traditional Unix
short and long options "-" and "--" for certain utilities (e.g. tar
xvf vs. tar -xvf). Don't ask me why. I would presume they don't
expect people to use this utility directly, and as such, they don't
put it in the User Manual. I think that many of the workarounds and
troubleshooting procedures that you will find on this list are going
to involve unix style commands, because most of the tools have been
ported from *nix source directly. Tools like TeXShop and BibDesk that
you may have installed on your system are "front-ends" for the
command line tools that most of us who are familiar with TeX have
grown accustomed to.

To a greater or lesser extent, many of us have found it easier to use
the command line to investigate misconfigurations, as most of the
command line utilities are very well documented (if you can deal with
manpages, texdoc, info, etc.) and additionally versatile (again,
assuming you have some familiarity with bash, csh, tcsh, and/or perl,
sed, awk). If you wish to become more familiar with the command line
utilities in general, I would recommend finding an introductory
reference at O'Reilly, as they are fairly thorough. Google is great
if you can put two and two together on your own, which probably wont
happen unless you have spent some time with the command line. On the
other hand, if you are on subscribed to this list, you have already
taken the most important step in finding a solution to your OS X TeX
problems.