[OS X TeX] Can't write on file xxx.aux

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Sat May 20 09:50:02 CEST 2006

Le 20 mai 06 à 04:21, Alain Schremmer a écrit :

> I am normally working with TeXShop 1.43 on a Dual 1 GHz PowerPC G4
> under 10.3.9 and, in order to work on the book while away for a few
> days, not knowing which file was calling which file, I copy
> everything—including the style sheets—onto my 400 MHz PowerPC G3
> also running under 10.3.9

What do you mean by "everything"? The directory containing your book
project, with all illustrations, calculations, style sheets -- which
would be OK --, or your personal texmf directory at ~/Library/texmf
-- which should be OK, provided no format files or texmf.cnf or
similar live there, cos' they could have special permissions
destroyed by copying from one machine to another --, or the system-
wide texmf tree at /Library/teTeX -- which should *not* be copied?

> Yet, this time, when I try to typeset a file xxx, I get "I can't
> write on file xxx.aux", no matter what xxx.

The fact that .aux files are the problem suggest you did the first
thing -- copy the book project directory from one computer to the
other. Why you are seeing this message is unclear (possibly different
user names on the two computers, and restrictive permissions giving
write permissions to user but not to group or other). The easiest
cure should be to simply erase all the .aux files on your PowerPC G3,
then re-typeset your book in order to recreate them.