[OS X TeX] assistance with annexes and opening sections (semi-OT)

Themis Matsoukas matsoukas at psu.edu
Fri Mar 17 22:01:24 CET 2006

On Mar 17, 2006, at 2:26 PM, Jason Davies wrote:

> I'm converting a longish document to LaTeX, as a report, and have
> to make it match the original in page numbers and section numbering
> etc. There is a preamble and two annexes that do not 'count' as
> chapters or sections. Ie
>
> Preamble
> Further Intorduction
> Glossary
>
> 1. Introduction
> 2. Chapter two
> 3. chapter three (etc
>
> 5. Conclusions
>
> Annex 1
> Annex 2
>
> How do I work with this in terms of labelling sections etc? Should
> I just 'fake' it by setting the titles (eg  Preamble) as bold with
> the right size etc or is there some set of categories I can use
> with 'report'? The catch is that I am using hyperref and would like
> the links in the TOC to be clickable (this is half the point of the
> boring and fiddly conversion...)

Look into the memoir document class. It lets you include frontmatter,
regular chapters, and backmatter sections. All main sections are
entered as \chapters but numbering is taken care of automatically
(i.e. the regular chapters are numbered consecutively starting from
1). The syntax is something like this:

\frontmatter
    \input{Preamble}
    \input{Further_Introduction}
    \input{Glossary}
    etc.

\mainmatter
    \include{Introduction}
    \include{Chapter_two}
    etc.

\backmatter
    \input{Annex1}
    etc.

The memoir class is installed by the i-installer and the manual (an
excellent one) is at /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/doc/latex/
memoir/memman.pdf.

Themis