[OS X TeX] Spell Check in TeXShop?

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Tue Mar 14 08:35:38 CET 2006

Le 14 mars 06 à 03:42, Jung-Tsung Shen a écrit :

> I have found out that the spellcheck feature of TeXShop (v 2.09) on my
> powerbook (MacOS X 10.4.5) is not very responsive. TeXShop didn't
> catch all the typos: sometimes if I spotted a typo myself and
> intentionally moved the cursor back and forth that word by keyboard,
> it triggered TeXShop and underscored the typo; for some other simple
> typos, however, TeXShop never caught them. Is there something wrong in
> my setup? Or, is there any way to make it more responsive? Or, should
> I use other spell checker?

I don't think TeXShop in itself does any spell checking: it uses the
standard built-in OS X spell checker and dictionaries.

If you want (La)TeX-oriented spell checking, you can install
cocoAspell <http://cocoaspell.leuski.net/>. Once installed, it can be
configured via System Preferences where it appears as a Spelling pref
panel. There, for example, you can enable the dictionaries than will
become available to OS X applications (such as TeXShop), switch on
and off filters for each dictionary (such as a LaTeX filter
recognizing LaTeX commands such as \section as valid words, a HTML
filter, and so forth), set options for these filters (such as adding
new commands to those recognized as valid words by the LaTeX filter,
etc.).

Once cocoAspell is installed, OS X applications such as TeXShop will
see new dictionaries in the Spelling panel, with " (Aspell)" suffix.
For example, after enabling English and French dictionaries, I can
see now in Mail new dictionaries in the Spelling panel, such as
"English (United Kingdom) [ize-w_accents] (Aspell)" and "French
(France) [80] (Aspell)", which both include LaTeX command filtering.

An alternative solution is to use the stand-alone Excalibur spell
checker <http://www.eg.bucknell.edu/~excalibr/excalibur.html>.

Hope this helps,