[OS X TeX] Should I install X11 ?

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Fri Jun 23 16:27:26 CEST 2006

Am 23.06.2006 um 11:12 schrieb Piet van Oostrum:

>> PD> For me there is one reason (to be correct: two, i.e. two
>> different
>> PD> versions) to install X11: GNU Emacs. There is no better TeX
>> editor  around.
>
> Why do you prefer the X11 version of Emacs rather than the native
> version?

It "feels" better. Although the fontsets setup is more complicated
this Emacs makes less faults in displaying extended Latin, maths,
other symbols. I also feel that I reach faster my aim. I can double-
click a frame's title and it minimises to just this title bar. Carbon
Emacs wastes minutes (can it be they're only seconds?) before getting
swallowed by the Dock. And again when getting ejected.

It's also a good example how well the integration of X11 and Aqua works.

--
Greetings

   Pete

What’s the difference between OS X and Vista?

Microsoft employees are excited about OS X…