[OS X TeX] Re: ttf installation on Mac OS X

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Sun Jun 18 16:35:19 CEST 2006

Le 14 juin 06 à 19:58, Carbonara, Joaquin a écrit :

> I am so sorry to bother, but would you have a link to
> your script referred to in the web page
> "Installing Fonts for LATEX on OS X"
> named tt2tex?

Hi,

ttf2tex is not a script that I wrote, but one that is merely
referenced in the tutorial <http://tug.org/mactex/fonts/fonttutorial-
current.html> which I wrote originally and which is now maintained by
Bob Kerstetter (see the link "Send comments, questions and
suggestions" at the end of the tutorial for Bob's address).

In the tutorial, the URL for ttf2tex is erroneous. Googling for
ttf2tex carries to the TeX FAQ page <http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/
help/Catalogue/entries/ttf2tex.html>, telling that ttf2tex is
apparently dead. It can still be found on CTAN in the obsolete
territory <http://www.tug.org/tex-archive/obsolete/support/ttf2tex/>.

A suggestion: give a look at XeTeX, a wonderful innovative piece of
software that reads and uses the OS-installed fonts directly. It
originated on OS X, and exists now in Alpha or Beta versions (now
sure what the difference is) on Linux and Windows. Other innovations
in XeTeX are a Unicode design from the start, and vertical or
horizontal typesetting, etc. See <http://scripts.sil.org/xetex> and

Also, I am sorry to have to insist on this, but *please* refrain from
contacting me personally. For questions or comments on the use of TeX
on OS X, please contact the OS X TeX list instead, at <http://
there, but possibly not, depending on the amount of time I can devote
to TeX matters. For questions or comments on the font tutorial,
please contact the current maintainer (Bob Kerstetter) instead. For
example, I have been away for a week and couldn't answer your
question; on the OS X TeX list, the answer would have been immediate.

Best,

Bruno Voisin