[OS X TeX] TeXShop 2.09 crash

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Jun 15 21:59:09 CEST 2006

On Jun 15, 2006, at 2:33 PM, Wolfgang Schmidle wrote:

> OK, the short version: I rebooted the computer and everything was
> fine, which makes me feel kind of stupid.
>
> The long version: I removed ~/library/Texshop, but then TeXshop
> wouldn't start at all because some macros were missing. I couldn't
> re-install it from the dmg file because there were "too many
> processes open". The activity monitor crashed when I tried to start
> it. When I re-booted, there was a kernel panic. The second re-boot
> worked, and TeXshop also worked again. Is this normal? I found it
> really scary.
>
> Thanks Gary, Chris and Herb for your help!
>
> Wolfgang

Howdy,

None of this is normal!!! TeXShop should just re-create a default
TeXShop folder in ~/Library/ and put in default contents. That's what
happens here.

If the OS was messed up so a re-boot was necessary I'd actually try
to do a memory test to make sure you aren't having a hardware
problem. There is a GUI wrapper of memtest called Rember available
from <http://www.kelleycomputing.net:16080/rember/> that seems to do
a decent job. It takes some time to run but I think it's fairly good.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)