[OS X TeX] TeXShop-2.10beta

Robert Bruner rrb at math.wayne.edu
Tue Jun 6 09:41:39 CEST 2006

> It is a difficult problem. Having universal binaries is easier for Dick
> but removes the download-only-what-you-need option.

I prefer the option of installing only what I want.  Disks are large
now, but so is the software, and so are the data files I generate.  I'd
prefer to use the space for things I use.

I'm new to the Mac, having spent most of the last 20 years using Unix
systems.  There, when I managed the computers for our department (back
when things were A LOT simpler) I designed the system so that users saw
the same logical setup, no matter their architecture, by mounting
software appropriate to their hardware.  Setting PATH variables has
much the same effect.

As I say, I'm new to the Mac and haven't done systems type work for 15
years, so my comments have to be taken with that in mind.

Aesthetically, it is more pleasing to not waste space on unused code.
I guess I am a minimalist at heart, or perhaps it is my 'waste not,
want not' upbringing.

Bob

Robert R. Bruner, Professor    (313)-577-3179 (office)         |
Department of Mathematics      (313)-577-2479 (department)     |
Wayne State University         (313)-577-7596 (fax, shared)    |
Detroit, Michigan  48202       rrb at math.wayne.edu              |
USA                            http://www.math.wayne.edu/~rrb  |