[OS X TeX] Placing eps figures

Jens Noeckel noeckel at uoregon.edu
Sun Jun 4 17:21:51 CEST 2006

> I do not know how you work the magic, for me it is amazing. I take
> the pdf page I want (I use Adobe Acrobat to extract it), drop it
> into your magic "TeX Font Outliner.app", and I now get a .ps page
> in Illustrator that I save as an eps file, and I am done -- this is
> what I had in Textures.
>
> Earlier solutions suggested (the -nofont utility) always messed up
> the included diagrams.

George and Gary,

if there's something that you improved on the original algorithm I
suggested, using the gv -dNOCACHE option (what I called fontbegone,
and Gary called -nofont), it would be nice if you could let me know.
I'm referring to this message:
http://tug.org/mailman/htdig/macostex-archives/2005-December/019411.html

The reason is that this method is now also used in LaTeXiT. There,
all you have to do is type your LaTeX formula, right-click on the
output display to open a contextual menu, and then choose "copy as
outlined PDF". Then you have the outlined LaTeX PDF output on your
clipboard, ready to be copied to whatever destination you fancy
(Including Illustrator). There's also a keyboard shortcut for this
(press Apple-Option-Shift-C after the LaTeX run), which makes this
solution the most convenient LaTeX-to-Anywhere tool that I'm aware of.

Obviously, any improvement in the method would benefit LaTeXiT, too.
Unlike George (apparently), I have never experienced any problems
whatsoever with my original fontbegone application, even though I use
it at least three times a week on multi-page PDF documents with lots
of graphics.

Jens