[OS X TeX] Re: Gratitude

Luis Sequeira lfsequeira at fc.ul.pt
Mon Jul 17 15:38:12 CEST 2006

> To those of you---and there are many, led by Dick Koch and Gerben
> Wierda---who have given of yourselves to bring forth a fine, open
> source,  TeX system built around TeXShop and teTeX, for the UNIX
> based Mac platform,  I offer you my sincere thanks. What you have
> created is an indispensable tool I use every day.
>
> I wrote my books with Textures, beginning in the late 1980s. Textures
> was one of the finest and most reliable MAC programs I have ever used
> and I often cited it to colleagues for its quality. It saddens me
> that Textures fell into disarray with the advent of OS X. But the
> UNIX based OS opened the MAC to UNIX based TeX with the above
> mentioned results.
>
> I find I am able to do all that I had previously done with Textures
> with near-equal facility including synchronization and flash mode
> which were critical features I relied on in Textures. A special
> thanks to those, particularly, Jerome Laurens, who implemented these
> features.
>
> The complexity of the installation tree and the handling of fonts
> remain areas for users that are neither trivial or simple; but this
> is a consequence of both the expansive power of UNIX and continuing
> advances in fonts and their encoding, difficulties that betray no
> inferiority to Textures.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> David Oliver

Actually, installing a complete fully functional TeX parafernalia
(including TeX, Ghostscript and TeXShop and more) in Mac OS X is now
almost ridiculously easy, thanks to MacTeX.
Just donwload and run the installer :-)

Since you were talking about gratitude, I feel this is a good time to
thank the people who have put this together. I think this can now be
called "TeX for the rest of us" :-)

Luis Sequeira