[OS X TeX] TeXShop previews in portrait mode

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Fri Jul 14 19:13:26 CEST 2006

On Jul 14, 2006, at 12:17 PM, AES wrote:

> I'm sorry -- I'm just not grasping how to preview portrait pages
> (e.g., slides) in TeXShop, in Plain TeX.

I believe you mean landscape.

> The test input for a prototypical slide is
>
> \magnification =\magstepN
> \hsize = 10 truein
> \vsize = 7 truein

Shouldn't those be ``true in''?

> \nopagenumbers
> \hrule
> \vfill
> \centerline{SLIDE TITLE}
> \bigskip
> \centerline{Some slide content}
> \vfill
> \vfill
> \hrule
> \eject

and add \bye so it'll finish processing.

> where the \hrules are inserted temporarily to define the typeset
> area, and the value N  of the \magstep is manually adjusted during
> composition to suit the amount and type of content on the slide.
>
> The objectives are
>
> (a)  A preview of fixed size such that the typeset area (10 wide X
> 7 high) -- or if you like the page size, 11 X 8.5 -- comes close to
> filling a preview window that's been adjusted to nearly fill my
> screen (so I can see the largest preview of the slide); and

You need to manually specify the physical pdf size, by adding
something like:

\pdfpagewidth=10 true in
\pdfpageheight=7 true in

at the top of your file.

> (b)  To have this preview window *stay* that way when I change N
> and re-typeset.
>
> If I try to use Preview >> Magnification >> Fit to Window:
>
> (a) I can't use the whole width of the preview window, only about
> 60% of it, since the gray page boundary doesn't change to portrait;
> and
>
> (b)  When I change N and re-typeset, the entire slide either
> shrinks in proportion or expands in proportion -- until part of it
> becomes hidden on the right.
>
> If I try to use Preview >> Magnification >> Fit to Width with a
> suitable scale setting, when I increase N and re-typeset the entire
> slide jumps upward (scroll bar jumps down), putting most of the
> slide off the top of the window.
>
> Is there a solution for this?  (in *Plain* TeX and TeXShop 1.43)

The above changes should work for what you want, if not, let us know
the specifics

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer

This email message and any files transmitted with it contain information
which is confidential and intended only for the addressee(s). If you are
not the intended recipient(s), any usage,  dissemination, disclosure, or
action taken in  reliance on it is prohibited.  The reliability of  this
method of communication cannot be guaranteed.  Email can be intercepted,
corrupted, delayed, incompletely transmitted, virus-laden,  or otherwise
affected during transmission. Reasonable steps have been taken to reduce
the risk of viruses, but we cannot accept liability for damage sustained
as a result of this message. If you have received this message in error,
please immediately delete it and all copies of it and notify the sender.