[OS X TeX] New alpha Textures with support for graphics

Charilaos Skiadas cskiadas at iwu.edu
Thu Jul 13 21:58:44 CEST 2006

On Jul 13, 2006, at 2:31 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:
> On Jul 13, 2006, at 1:58 PM, André Bellaïche wrote:
>
>> I just want to make my point clear.

>>> Of course they don't have it so why would they tell you about it?
>>>
>>> Ummm... Gerben did inform us all about texdoc after he set it up
>>> in his distribution.
>>
>> What about all the people who do not receive Gerben's mails ? For
>> example, I learned about texdoc by chance, on this forum, and this
>> morning, Franck Pastor did not know what texdoc was.
>> My point is that :
>> 1) Sometimes a commercial software with a complete doc may be
>> useful ;
>> 2) TeX gurus are also useful, but it's a hard job. I am the teX
>> guru of my wife and several colleagues : all of them do not even
>> know the name of Gerben. And they forget it whenever I tell them
>> (e. g., find out Gerben Wierda on Google, then download i-
>> Installer, etc.) ;
>> 3) Many people don't even have a guru.
>>

> Howdy,
>
> If you look through the Archive of this list, <http://tug.org/
> pipermail/macostex-archives/>, which is noted at the bottom of each
> message (or at least somewhere in the digest form I assume) you can
> search for all sorts of things that have been discussed previously.
> I agree it does take a bit of playing with search terms but it is
> amazing what can be found there.

Also, a simple google search for "latex package documentation"
produces this as the fourth link:
http://www.math.upenn.edu/tex_docs/newhelpindex.html
and a search for "tetex package documentation" leads you straight to
the tetex documentation and manual, where texdoc is discussed.

And please, don't confusedTeXShop with teTeX. They are two completely
different things. teTeX provides a TeX compiling engine and a lot of
supporting material, it is in other words a TeX distribution. TeXShop
is just a front-end for making life easier for people who need to
work with TeX. You can instruct TeXShop to use a different TeX
distribution if you have one in your computer, and equally well you
can use any other of a number of front-ends.
Textures on the other hand is an integrated system. It has its own
TeX engine built in, which means perhaps more convenience but
definitely less flexibility.

teTeX is has this texdoc thing, and this is something I didn't know
about either until recently, and didn't really miss. If I want to
find out how a package or a commands works, I google for it and that
almost always leads me to the right place. Often it leads me to the
very same pdf file or whatnot that texdoc would have provided.

The presence of texdoc seems documented in http://www.tug.org/tetex/
tetex-texmfdist/doc/ in the section titled "main features in the 3.0
release". So they *have* told everyone about it, and they have done
so exactly where one would expect them to, in the documentation for
teTeX. Anyway, I think I should stop here.

Haris